Tree Sisters

Meet TreeSisters

The greatest power for change is a community doing what it cares about.

We are proud to be working with TreeSisters. This female-led, non-profit, UK based organisation have so far planted over 15 million trees across 8 eco-systems along the tropical belts. This is amazing. Their vision is a world where it is natural to repair, restore and protect.

And their good work doesn’t stop there - TreeSisters provide educational tools, courses, resources and an invaluable community for many. As part of their aim to inspire sisterhood, they recognise the importance of calling women and calling them into leadership. Even though their focus is empowering women, TreeSisters are not exclusive in either planting or campaigning - their work welcomes all genders. They include and involve everyone, with a wider cultural shift embedding restoration into everything at the forefront of all they do.

We are delighted to work alongside a company with an ethos so aligned with ours. We all recognise how important it is to act now. 

Why...

The Earth is a fine place and worth fighting for…

Thanks to the ongoing support from you, our wonderful Midz community, we have now reached a point in our business where we would like to start giving back. We see it as our duty to align our actions with our goals. After considering a number of charities, we were immediately drawn to TreeSisters as their mission and ethos fitted perfectly with ours.

Considerably more than funding trees, TreeSisters have taken action by blending four of the biggest issues of today: gender, climate, behaviour change and ecological restoration through large-scale tropical reforestation. Sustainability is the key to our survival on this planet and TreeSisters wholeheartedly acknowledge this inescapable fact too. They are driven to change outcomes for the better. Their grass roots, ethical and holistic approach sets them apart from others and their enthusiasm for change is at the heart of all they do. 

Where...

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago..the second best time is now.

My 9 year old son, Hadley, was a Nutella fiend. However, after watching YouTube videos on the devastating effects of deforestation, just to produce palm oil - a key ingredient in Nutella - he has finally stopped asking me to buy it. He does not want orang-utans to be made homeless just so he can eat chocolate spread. For this reason, Hadley asked me for all our trees to be planted in Gunnung Palung National Park in Borneo, Indonesia.

The new planting project will be reforesting an amazing 68 hectares of the outer fringe es of peat swamp forests in the Gunung Mentubang are in Gunung Palung National Park in the Kayong Utara Regency, West Kalimantan, Indonesian Borneo. Gunung Palung National Park was established in 1937 as a Nature Reserve and in 1990, the area officially became a National Park. It hosts a huge diversity of wildlife, flora and fauna and is one of the few places left in the world for orang-utans. We are thrilled to be contributing to such a worthy cause; and to have the seal of approval from young Hadley!

How...

Alone, we can do so little; together, we can do so much.

The TreeSisters vision for success is:
A project that aims to plant a total of 34,100 trees per year across two reforestation sites.
We will see complete canopy closure for each reforestation site within 3-5 years after planting.
There will be a 50% increase in ecosystem functions such as soil fertility, soil organic mass and water quality.
There will be an anticipated 25% increase in bird species richness in the reforestation sites 3 years after planting.
Approximately 5,000 of the seedlings will be gathered via ASRI clinic patients and bartered for healthcare or bought from the surrounding communities during the program period. This will in turn increase local communities’ incomes well as promoting environmental awareness and increasing a direct connection between people and forest. 

Transparency...

Tropical forests are so much more than ‘the lungs’ of our world. They are rain creators, weather stabilisers, air cleansers and conditioners for our whole planet. They are our major carbon sinks, absorbing excess atmospheric carbon that otherwise acidifies our oceans. A single hectare of tropical rainforest may contain more than 480 species of tree!

TreeSisters channel 80% of member donations to exemplary existing reforestation organisations in the tropics with whom they partner with to restore ecosystems. The remaining 20% funds their behaviour change and consciousness shifty work with women to reinstate female leadership and normalise collective ownership of planetary restoration.

We are delighted to be partnering with such an incredible company and look forward to updating you.